If you can’t laugh at yourself, life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you like. ~Garden State
Both Louise and Marc have told me that I wasn’t anything like how they’d expected me to be. What probably surprised them the most, is that I never take myself too seriously. Don’t get me wrong, I work hard before a wedding, I work even harder during a wedding, and I work hard again once that wedding is finished. But that doesn’t mean I can’t laugh at myself. Which got me to thinking. I should probably be very straightforward and mention that at least once during a shoot, I will:
- Forget to take the lens cap off my camera, then laugh about what a professional I am.
- Strike a ridiculous and over-dramatic pose to show you what to do, and then say something like, “but don’t really do it that way”.
- Mention how I need to lose 344890898 pounds, then follow it up with a conversation about my favorite restaurant.
- Get so excited about a photo that I promptly take a photo of the professional photo with my crummy iphone camera to show my husband later. I really don’t know why I do this. I mean, he’s going to be around when I download the real photos.
- Say something ridiculous like, “we’re off, like a herd of turtles”…because I used to teach kindergarten and those phrases will never get out of my head.
- Tell a story about the time I fell into the canal water at the Storybook Land Canal Boats. Did you know it’s 8 feet deep? Anyone who has ever worked with me knows.
- Stop and take a deep breath anytime I pass a place that smells like coffee.
At this point in my life, I’ve just accepted that I’m a little silly and quirky sometimes. I hope that it makes people feel more comfortable. Maybe in fifty years from now when they’re going through their wedding photos, they’ll look at their partner and say, “do you remember that goofy photographer and how she couldn’t ever remember to take her lens cap off? Lets hope she’s figured it out by now.” Chances are, I haven’t. 😉
8 thoughts on “If You Can’t Laugh At Yourself”
Love this 🙂
I think that’s why you get the pictures that you do. You just come off like everyone else and it puts people at ease in front of the camera. It’s actually refreshing that despite all the success, you’re just as silly as the rest of us. 🙂
Thanks, Hope! 🙂
You crack me up … Also, I really need to know more about that bride’s dress.
It’s Morilee! http://www.morilee.com/bridals/bridal
you are so cute. we had such a great time with you, and i love that we actually did experience a few of the things on your list!
Haha, next time, we will experience them all!!!! :p